- Protect your PC with the best antivirus software on the market. It’s no use using free tools as they don’t do much and often miss nasty viruses. All the free antivirus products are simply Antivirus products and don’t catch nasty Malware and Adware. We reccommend eSet Smart Security as it protects you from Viruses or (viri as it should be called) plus Malware, Spyware, Trojans, and other nasties.Malware and Spyware are annoying little things that basically annoy the hell out of you. They disable important parts of windows or show popups alerting you that you have a virus and you MUST buy this software – all of which are basically attempts to extract money from you. You can purchase eSet Smart Security or purchase NOD32 Antivirus using these 2 links. If you use Norton and aren’t happy with it, simply download the Norton Removal tool. It’s an easy process to follow and once removed, simply install something else.
- Defrag or Defragment Your Hard Disk When you save a file on your computer, it doesn’t save in one place. The file is split up and saved in chunks around the hard drive. Why – because when you delete a file, it leaves a hole of empty space on the disk – well lots of them when you detete many files. If the first empty space isnt big enough for the file, part of it is written there and part in the next emply hole… this is a fragmented file! Defragging or Defragmenting a disk moves files around in order to join them all up again which leads to an increase in the file read speed. To use the built-in defrag tool on windows, Double Click “My Computer”, then Right Click the C: drive, then click properties. When the window opens, click tools then defragment now. Obviously repeat this on the D: drive etc if you have more than one drive.
- Increase Boot Speed If when you switch on your PC, you’re prompted to choose an operating system, you may find that there is a 30 second delay unless you chose an option. You can set this to something lower such as 5 by right clicking my computer, click properties, click advanced, startup and recovery, settings button, then change the time to display operating systems from 30 to 5. Whilst you’re on this screen, also change system failure option for memory dump to “small memory dump” and click ok.
- Not too fussed about those fancy animations or screen colours in windows. Not too fussed about how fancy your start menu looks either? Well, you can change these settings in one go to improve system responsiveness dramatically. If you don’t like it – you can simply change it back. This method uses less memory and gives your computer a little kick. To add this speed boost, simply Right click my computer, click properties, advanced, performance, settings button, and then change from let windows manage to adjust for best performance.
- And our final tip for this article – remove the trash from internet explorer. Infact – forget internet explorer! It’s slow and quite frankly eats up lots of memory. Our advice is to download FireFox. If however you do want to try to speed up internet explorer and remove all that rubbish it’s kept then simply, go to control panel, click internet options, then under browsing history, click detele – and of course select which items you’d like to delete.
PC Health Check Unleashed “Trains You” to manage your own computer system. Follow the procedure every few months or when you feel your PC needs a boost.
We reveal the secrets and “tricks of the trade” to improving your computer system.
We simply cannot perform these PC Health Checks to every customer that requests them. We simply do not have the resources to do so. That’s why we created an online training course that teaches you how to manage your own PC.
It’s an easy to follow course with full HIGH DEFINITION Videos and course notes.